I've recently been doing a cleanse, which has more or less just been cutting out processed food, sugars, etc. About a week or so in, I realized I had not been eating bread, cereal, crackers. I normally eat whole wheat or whole grain carbs at just about every meal. Yes, I my carbs. But in doing this "cleanse", I also chose to cut out processed carbs, only eating beans, potatoes, etc.
Guess what happened when I decided I wanted a piece of toast with an egg? Yep, you guessed it. Instant stomach ache, pain and bloating that lasted for days. I have not been tested for allergies to foods or gluten, but I think my body is trying to tell me something. I have never tried to hide my love affair with bread. But how can it be that the one food I also said I couldn't live without is now the thing my body is deciding to reject? And how long has this been a problem? Has my love of all things bread related been the reason behind many of my health issues?
This is a big change and I am definitely nervous. Although I am sad to say goodbye to gluten, my beloved bread family, I am even more delighted to see what the future holds. My pants aren't quite as snug and I'm not nearly as miserable and bloated as I normally feel by the end of the day. And I have already found some gluten free pretzels and English muffins that I could grow to love.
So long gluten, you've been no good to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment